Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fear of Flying

All of my friends are getting married. I've heard people say this before, but they were always OLD people. But it's true, it all seems to happen at the same time. Some of my friends are already on their second marriages. But as far as this wave goes, I was first, in October, when I married Mr. X. Now it's April, and we have four weddings to go to between now and September. Four! Luckily Mr. X still has the shirt we got married in, so he will be okay for clothes. His idea of getting dressed up is putting on something that is nearer the top of "the pile", but his insanely good looks make up for any fashion faux pas he may make. Bastard looks good in anything. And nothing.

We do not have kids. Well, he does. "We" do not. His son is of driving age, and therefore more of a dude than a kid. We have a stable of weird pets that occupy most of our attention.

But I know my friends that are getting married will probably have kids, and that sort of sucks. I get the feeling that when my friends have kids, I will not be able to relate to them anymore. I will be talking about what happened on Breaking Bad the other night, and they will be talking about poo diapers. And speaking of, when did it become acceptable to talk openly about poo and its various forms, colors, and consistancies? In mixed company, no less? I know that parents have a whole lot of dirty work to contend with, and that is probably what desensitizes them to things that other people find gross or weird or uninteresting. That said, please do not tell me about your placenta. I'm all set.

I know a lot of very cool parents who have not lost who they are and what they stand for. And they have beautiful children who I adore. I shouldn't be worried that my friends will change, I should really be psyched that they are helping the world by breeding...one hip child at a time.

My life is in a constant state of flux. I'm always doing something, always learning, reading, doing some dumb crap just to cross it off my bucket list. I can't even fucking sleep sometimes because I'm scared I'll miss something.

I think when I fear that my friends are changing, it is really a fear that I might not be. The ultimate hurt. Spoken like a true Gen X.

No comments:

Post a Comment